There are two international airports in the Republic of Macedonia: in Skopje and in Ohrid. Through these airports, Macedonia and the City of Skopje are connected with regular direct connections to several larger European transport centers: London, Vienna, Rome, Zurich, Dusseldorf, Prague, Budapest, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Belgrade, Istanbul, etc. The Turkish company “TAV” has been the new operator and manager of the Macedonian airport system since 2008, following the granting of a 20-year concession from the Macedonian government.
Under the concession, “TAV” is to modernize the international airports Alexander the Great in Skopje and St. Paul in Ohrid, and to build a new cargo airport in Shtip.
The proximity of the Alexander the Great Airport, which is at a distance of only 20 km, is of great importance for the City of Skopje.
The Alexander the Great Airport, apart from transport of passengers, offers the following services as well :
• Cargo handling for passenger aircraft,
• Cargo handling for cargo aircraft,
• Road feeder service (RFS) for air and other cargo.
All these activities are carried out in accordance with IATA standards.
• Handling cargo and mail,
• Handling special shipments (DG, VAL, AVI, etc.).
• Document preparation,
• X-ray examination of goods,
• Customs control,
• Border inspection control,
• Servicing of transit shipments by truck/aircraft,
• other services by arrangement.
The Cargo Operations carries out logistics services before and after air transport (landside handling):
• Preparation of shipments for air transport,
• Customs warehousing,
• Repackaging of goods.